Saturday, January 10, 2009

Christmas 2008

<
I absolutely love the Christmas holiday. I love the music, the christmas trees, and driving through neighborhoods to see their christmas lights. I especially love the traditions of our family for Christmas. Our season started out with putting up the Christmas tree. Paige was a big helper and after she broke one of the glass balls, I pulled out the less breakable ornaments for her. She took her job very seriously and was very precise about where they went (just like her mom). Her ornaments had their own little position on the tree right at the bottom all clustered to gether. She was so funny about it and would take off and replace her ornaments throughout the month.


The next outing was to travel with our good friends, the Stones, on the train down to SLC to see the lights on Temple Square. Paige loved it all. She liked the train ride and seeing the temple. Normally I have no need to view Christmas lights year in and out but with Paige it's a whole new experience.


The next event was the Roberts Christmas party. It was nice to have it in Scott's parents almost completed basement. He and his brothers have spent a lot of time trying to get it finished for big functions such as this. With the size if family he has, it is always a tight fit but we have so much fun with each other. Their was good food, fun games, and good times. What a wonderful family Scott has.


Christmas was extra special this year. We knew it would be more emotional so we added some special things. Our traditions include meeting together for Christmas Eve for soup bread bowls and potato bars with our 90 year old neighbors coming for dinner. We follow that by watching the Christmas Nativity the Church put out a few years ago. (It tends to hold the kids interest better). Then comes the pj's and my mom reading a kids Christmas book to everyone. My mom took charge and got everything organized for it. I was so proud of her. Scott and I stayed with her that night and she said that before she went to bed, she put on some perfume my dad liked of hers, then sprinkled some of his cologne on a pillow. When he drove long haul, he would miss Christmas occasionally and he would call my mom and sing the "Merry Christmas, Darling" song to her from the Carpenters. So she sang that, cried a little and then went to sleep. She told us it was a good night and I thought it was sweet.
The next morning, Scott, my mom, and I made breakfast for the fam. It was yummy but the grandkids missed grandpa's runny eggs with the green things in them (chives). We missed him. Then off to open presents. Paige took a while to get into the spirit of opening gifts but once she got her princess Aurora doll, it was over. She even helped haul a huge gift to my mom (I think she was hoping it was hers). This year instead of buying for each other, we used the money we would have spent and bought just my mom Christmas. That was special to us and we included a gift "from dad" that the tag read, I love you forever. She was overjoyed and so appreciative. Scott and I needed to get back to Ogden and a storm was coming in so we packed up and left but not before a quick visit to dad's grave and a merry christmas to him. Did I say I missed him??



We then spent the rest of the afternoon at his parents house. We played Nertz all night. Paige really wanted the Barbie princess' that her cousins got so we had to teach her that she need to play with her princess and not take others. It was a little hard for her to not want to takeover their gifts. It was such a great day and we loved spending it with family. We are so lucky.

1 comment:

Trent Megan and Kids said...

Love the update!! I'm so glad that we get to share these fun memories together. Love you and your family.....yeah even Scott