Friday, January 25, 2008

Car Keys ARGHHHH!

I have the most rotten luck with locking my keys in the car. It all started two years ago. Scott and I attended a friends birthday party. We put our keys in our camera case and the next think we knew, it was stolen. We had to call the locksmith to get into our car where the other set was waiting, but we needed to make doubles of all the ones we lost. We kept putting it off and putting it off.
Shortly after Paige was born, I was at her doctor's apt. I had left her diaper bag (which contained: her blanket, bottle, binkie, and formula) and my car keys in the car. After calling a locksmith, I returned to the doc.'s office and asked the nurse for formula and then I went next door to the dollar store for the rest of the items. I strongly encouraged Scott to get another key made for the car. We went to the locksmith but it would cost $60 dollars to make the key which contained a chip in it. Scott didn't think we could afford it :). So we didn't get it.
Then I accidentally locked the car while it was parked in my driveway. I locked the doors just like Scott was encouraging me to do but picked the time that he was coming back out to the car to run an errand and so he didn't bring the keys into the house with him (this episode was technically Scott locking the keys in the car). Once again, he called the locksmith and I once again insisted on a new set of keys. Procrastination prevented the purchase of the car keys once again.
At Christmas, our work party was up the canyon and I had a few people riding up with me. I went on auto and put my keys in my purse and then locked the doors. The only problem with that was that I then placed my purse in the trunk of the car so I didn't have to carry it. Luckily some engineering friends were able to break into my car and help me out.
Then finally today, I dropped off a package at the post office. That still small voice told me to leave the doors unlocked but I didn't listen and locked it anyways with the keys sitting on the passenger seat. Once again the locksmith was called. Since Scott could not beleive I had done it again, he drove immediately to the locksmith to have all the keys made. I am greatful for a forgiving (although teasing) husband and all of you locksmiths out there. PS- I have to clarify that it wasn't just Scott's fault that the keys were never made. I too had the responsibility to replace them but procrastinated.

5 comments:

Jenny said...

Ha ha ha! I am sorry for your rotten luck, but I definitely enjoyed the stories! You need to get a hide-a-key!

Steph said...

That is hilarious! And so something I would do, considering I'd done it an USU a couple times, including once while it was running before a work party!! Yikes! Maybe we should go make doubles of a few of our keys :)

Trent Megan and Kids said...

That is funny. I leave the keys in the car but don't lock the door or I put them in my coat pocket. I did that once and they happened to be the only ones to the van which Trent needed that day to take the kids. He couldn't reach me for 2 hours because I was in a work meeting so suffice to say when I got the message he was two hours late for work. He was pretty understanding though. So moral of the story is a lesson you learned the hard way!!

Ruth said...

What great stories! I didn't know this about you Melinda. Considering all those weeks of going on visits together, I'm quite surprised this never happened to us. :) As for myself, I've only locked the keys in the car once: on my mission! But everytime Marcos locks his keys in the car, it's always with the car still running!!

The Sherman's said...

Hilarious! I locked my family out of our house and car one night, we were stuck and had to spend the night at the neighbors while we waitied for a lock smith. The worst part is it's an expensive mistake!