This pregnancy has been a little bit different than with the girls. First of all, I was sick all through the first trimester. The minute the second trimest hit, I was feeling much better but had my pregnancy induced asthma hit. I armed myself with my inhaler and my peepee pads so that I could tolerate the constant coughing. I'm so tired all of the time. I don't know if it's because I have two constant children, am a little bit older or if I've just gotten lazier. I have definitely been terrible about my eating habits and it's been reflecting on the scale. With me girls, I only gained twenty pounds with each of them. I've already hit that mark with this little guy and I still have 3 more months to go. I have no will power when it comes to ice cream, donuts or cookies.
We've had a couple worries come up. Some bloodwork I had drawn came back with a high feta alpha protein. It indicated that the baby might have spina bifida. I know that false positives are highly associated with all of those labs so I wasn't worried during the ultrasound but because of our history of having a son with down syndrome we're always a little more cautious. When we had the big ultrasound, the baby checked out just fine. He (yes, that's right. A little boy!!) is right on for his weight and growth with no abnormalities that could be seen. No evidence of spina bifida. The perinatologist spoke to us and checked everything after the ultrasound. He scared us with the news that I had a complete placenta previa which is when the placenta completely covers the cervix making it impossible for a vaginal birth and the risks and complications associated with it are early delivery, bleeding/hemorrhaging and possible death for me and the baby. We were completely surprised. The doctor than left and the US tech came back in just for a quick look. Then we headed home. For the next three weeks, I heard scary stories from my labor and delivery coworkers about the risks of placenta previa. In my mind, I was preparing for months on bedrest with two small children as well as emergency c-sections and bleeding out complications. A month following that US, I had the US tech and my work check on my progress. As she was looking, there was no indication of a placenta previa. My thoughts were a miracle had taken place and the load on my shoulders had immediately ceased. I took this info to my OB and she was pleasantly surprised as well as cautious that the placenta had moved that quickly. I was sent back to the perinatologist for another look and confirmation. When I went back, the US tech was looking all over my abdomen but was unable to find the placenta previa. She told me she thought I had never had it and when she looked back at her pictures and records, it was confirmed. But she could not go against the doctor's opinion (even when he got mad at her for missing such a huge problem). I then eased her worries by sharing the news of the US from my work and confirming that I had never had the placenta previa. When the perinatologist came into check, he also stated that they must have "overlooked" something and that I did not have the previous diagnosis. (On a side note, they had forgotten about me in the waiting room after I had been there over an hour and Scott had to go back to work. Only when a person who was there after me went back ahead of me did the receptionist call back to see why the wait. They had marked me down as a noshow when I had been over 20minutes early. I was a little emotional because Scott had to leave but was relieved with the outcome. Just had to make a record of it for my journal.)
We are so excited for this little boy, whom we've decided to name Brett Koamalu (peaceful courage in Hawaiian). Even Paige has been patting my stomach and wondering why Brett's not here yet. As I get fatter and more uncomfortable, I realize what a gift I've been given through being able to carry this child.
Monday, April 4, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




1 comment:
Love the name Brett! So glad that things are going well now.
Post a Comment