Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Charles E. Roberts


Charles Everal Roberts
March 15th, 1931 - January 30th, 2010

We lost Scott's dad on Saturday Jan. 10th at around 10am. He had been battling renal failure from diabetes that required the removal of his big toe on Christmas Eve. He was also in congestive heart failure which had his heart only working at about 15-30%. He was in an incredible amount of pain from some stenosis in his back that was putting pressure on his sciatic nerve. I always said he had been given 9 lives but this was to be his last. In the days preceding his death, he would constantly mention my father and how he had been thinking alot about him. I think he knew his time would be short although I truly thought he'd be with us a couple of more months.

That morning I had received a call from Scott's brother trying to locate him. Scott had taken Paige to go play ball that morning and I was about to lay Ashley down and run on the treadmill. I asked him what was wrong and he said there is something seriously wrong with dad, get up there now. I then frantically proceeded to throw Ashley in a car seat and drive over to the Stake center to get Scott. I overshot the stake center and went to the church further down the road. I asked some neighbors where Scott was because I could see his car in the parking lot- he had to be there somewhere. They told me he was down at the stake center, duh! And wouldn't you know it, Scott's car in the parking lot was my car that I had driven over. I don't do well with emergencies. I ran into the stake center and yelled at him half court that it was his dad. We grabbed everything and everyone and proceeded to the ER where they had been performing CPR on his dad. I dropped off Scott and ran to my neighbor's, the Toone's to drop off the girls. When I got back, we congregated in a consult room where we were told that Scott's dad had died. An incredible emotional moment as you can imagine.

Apparently when Scott's mom woke up at 8 that morning, he was sleeping. At 9am, she yelled down the hall for him to wake up. When there was no response at 945- she went in to find him cold, pale and not breathing. She then called 911 where they instructed her on CPR until the paramedics arrived. At that point, they believed he had been gone awhile. I think of his mom and the difficulty of performing CPR on the man you love and knowing he probably won't wake up. It breaks my heart.

We all gathered around his body to say our goodbyes and were there until 130pm when Ginger was finally able to arrive and say goodbye. What a spiritual and love filled room. I realized that every person in that room loved each other and as the family prayer was given, it was confirmed how this family was raised in the example of their father who followed our Savior. We left the hospital and went to IHOP for some nourishment still in a daze that this was not real. The rest of the week we were constantly with each other. We made plans for the funeral, wrote the obituary, settled stuff with the mortuary and made a family trip to the temple. How incredible and comforting these activities were for us. The amazing man that Scott's father was became evident as people poured into the viewing and funeral. A beautiful service was given with each of the siblings participating. Scott wrote a humorous and loving poem for his father which I've included in the previous post. At the graveside, they performed military honors for him including a 21 gun salute. Paige was walking by the gunmen and told my sister (who along with the Stones', were my lifeline in watching the girls through the funeral and at the graveside) that they were going to shoot her. Funny girl.

He truly was an incredible and loving man. He loved his family and the Lord and when asked what he wanted at his funeral requested lots of music and the Gospel being taught. I'm so fortunate to have met him and been in his life for a short time. The person that he was is evident through Scott. I love you, Chuck and will miss your loving hugs and quiet laugh. Thanks to all who sent thoughts, cards, plants, and flowers to us. Thank you as well to all those who watched the girls the whole week. We are gifted with the best of friends and family.

5 comments:

Chantel said...

I'm so sorry. I hadn't heard. Please let me know if you need anything.

The Sherman's said...

I am so sorry to hear of your loss Melinda and Scott. The poem is beautiful, it says volumes about the kind of person he was. I hope you're doing well and you'll be in my prayers.

Trent Megan and Kids said...

Love you guys!! Think that those two dads have already gotten caught up with each other and are ready for some gospel teaching!!

wright said...

We love you guys!

Blake and Rachele Burtenshaw said...

What an amazing tribute Melinda! I could tell by reading this that Scott's dad was a wonderful man. Your family is in our prayers at this time of sorrow. May you all be comforted.